Hosted in our offices on Thursday 2nd May, 20 heads of Investor Relatioins from within the Financial Services space as the first of our sector focused networking events and it was a huge success. We had an informal and open chat where everyone shared ideas and best practice. The overall agenda, driven by requests from attendees, included:
- Setting a 12 month IR engagement plan – we discussed changes in the conference landscape, how to get the most out of broker organised roadshows, expansion of the IR role and what that means for the “plan”. There was a general discussion around how frequent to visit different geographic regions, the optimal time to do so and which brokers are best to service this. Other topics discussed included changes in approach to targeting given the rise of passive money, how to get the most out of capital market days and who should this be targeted at?
- Optimal structure of IR function - Where teams were growing and what talent to hire. Some of the hurdles in hiring good talent. New role for “specialists” within teams such as ESG, Corporate Access.
- Evolution of Technology – much more sophisticated CRM systems available with greater capability to do targeting, app based, easy to extract info from. FS tends to “lag behind” with some of the technology capability. Corporate access platforms to support roadshows and targeting.
- Role of Advisors/Brokers/Financial PR – how to get the most from them and tips to stay on their agenda, particularly small and mid caps
- Opportunities in debt investor relations – run a debt programme similar to equity, investors still want access.
Thank you to all who attended and contributed towards the session. If you would be interested in attending the next event within this series, please contact Debbie Nathan, Anastasia Pittas or Melanie Swindells for more information.